Tennis Elbow? A painful injury on the elbow – find out more about what it is and how you can cure it…
What is Tennis Elbow?
Tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis) is a painful injury felt on the outside of the elbow. It’s very sore and limiting – not just to your sport but to everyday tasks. Although associated with tennis, this injury is common in athletes who do repetitive wrist extensions or forearm rotations, for example, weight lifters, those who do push ups, chin ups etc.
What are the symptoms of Tennis Elbow?
- A pain on the outside of the elbow, sometimes radiating down the forearm and into the wrists.
- You may find it sore to touch the area around your funny bone.
- Decreased grip strength – an inability to hold the tennis racket or with acute tennis elbow, ineffective slice backhands
- You might experience pain to lift or bend your arm. It can be difficult to lift heavy items such as the kettle or large objects where you have to extend the hand to lift something up e.g. picking up a log for the fire. It can also be uncomfortable to fully extend your arm.
How to treat Tennis Elbow?
- Rest your arm for a while
- Hold a cold pack (reusable cold/hot packs available at The Sports Room) or a bag of peas, wrapped in a tea-towel against your elbow a few times a day.
- Wear a tennis elbow support (available at The Sports Room) to provide protection, relief and compression for tennis elbow.
- Take an anti-inflammatory such as paracetemol or neurofen to help reduce the inflammation.
- If the pain persists, visit your physiotherapist who may help relieve the pain through massage and stretching and strengthening exercises. According to Maebhe Connolly at Wicklow Physiotherapy Clinic it’s important to look beyond just the elbow. “We do a full shoulder, girdle, neck and arm assessment with elbow patients,” says Maebhe of Wicklow Physiotherapy Clinic “ as, frequently, the problem is not just the elbow joint and muscles alone. Treatment will target the cause with a combination of manual therapy soft tissue work dry needling and specific exercise.”
How Can The Sports Room Help with Your Tennis Elbow?
Ultimate Performance Tennis Elbow Supports are available to buy at The Sports Room. We also stock reusable cold packs. Perhaps you need a new tennis racket? If so, pop in and talk to Peter who will ensure you have the right tennis racket weight and grip size.
The Sports Room, Wicklow Town, stocks a wide range of Ultimate Performance supports for elbows, shoulders, wrists, knees, ankles, thighs and more. We also stock tennis rackets and accessories as well as a white range of tennis gear, particularly tennis whites.